Top Ten Ways to Adjust Your Status Despite the 3- and 10-year Bars

On June 24, 2022, the USCIS announced a new policy regarding the 3- and 10-year bars (penalties for individuals who have lived more than six months in the U.S. without status). Before June 24th, a person who triggered the 3- or 10-year bar would have to wait the 3 or 10 years outside of the United States before applying for permanent residency. According to the recent USCIS memorandum, the 3 or 10 years may be counted for time spent inside of the United States if the last entry to the United States was made legally (i.e., with a visa).

Additionally, anyone with a permanent resident application previously denied because USCIS determined they triggered the 3- or 10-year bar may be eligible to request a reopening of that decision.

If you last entered the U.S. lawfully and have been told that you could not apply because you triggered a bar, please get in touch with our office so we can evaluate your case to determine eligibility. *

Below are the options to adjust the status despite the accumulation of unlawful presence and the possible triggering of the three and 10-year bars:

  1. Adjust Status under 245(i)
  2. I-601A Waiver
  3. PIP
  4. DACA
  5. DACA Advanced Parole
  6. TPS Advanced Parole
  7. U visa
  8. T visa
  9. VIEW
  10. Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship

Related Posts
  • Important Updates on USCIS Final Fee Rule Changes Effective April 1, 2024 Read More
  • Why Is My Case Taking So Long? Read More
  • Work Permit Cons Read More