Green Card Through Family

Santa Ana Family-Based Green Card Lawyer

Successfully Guiding Clients to Lawful Permanent Residency

Family-based immigration is one of the most common ways to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) of the United States. That said, it is by no means a simple process, and the exact procedure will vary from person to person depending on their relationship to their sponsor, their sponsor’s status (i.e. permanent resident vs. U.S. citizen), and more.

Our job at U.S. Immigration law Group, LLP is to help you make sense of this process and navigate each step with ease and efficiency. Submitting error-free, comprehensive documentation is critical, and you will need to fully understand what to expect at each phase of the application process. Our Santa Ana family-based green card attorneys have secured more than 2700 green cards for our clients, making us the experienced, high-powered legal team you need on your side.

Let us help you bring your family together in the United States. Call (714) 786-1166 or send us an online message to get started today with our Santa Ana family-based green card lawyers—we provide services in English and Spanish.

How to Get a Green Card Fast

The quickest and easiest way to obtain a green card is through family-based immigration. A person may qualify for a green card if they are “immediate relatives”. Examples of immediate relatives are a spouse, an unmarried child under 21 years old, or a parent of a citizen in the United States over the age of 21. Immediate relatives are immediately eligible for immigrant visas.

An individual may also request an expedition of their green card -- USCIS will consider requests on a case-by-case basis and it may require additional documentation on the individual’s part to support a request.

Some circumstances that may cause USCIS to consider an expedition request:

  • Significant financial loss to a company or a person
  • Urgent humanitarian reasons (for example illness, death in the family, critical need to obtain medical treatment, etc.)
  • U.S. government interests
  • Clear error by USCIS

Family-Based Immigration Green Card Categories

At U.S. Immigration Law Group, LLP, we help U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents secure green cards for their spouses, fiancés, children, parents, and siblings. We can assist you with every aspect of the family-based immigration process, including visa petitions and applications, consular processing, adjustment of status, travel documentation, and more.

Spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens are considered “immediate relatives” and, therefore, are not subject to annual and per country quotas or waiting periods.

The following family green card categories, however, are subject to quotas and waiting periods:

  • 1st Preference (F1): unmarried sons and daughters (21 and older) of U.S. citizens
  • 2nd Preference (F2A): children (unmarried and under 21) and spouses of lawful permanent residents
  • 2nd Preference (F2B): unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or older) of lawful permanent residents
  • 3rd Preference (F3) married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • 4th Preference (F4): siblings of U.S. citizens (the U.S. citizen must be 21 or older)

If a person falls into one of these preference categories, there will be a waiting period between when their sponsor files the initial immigrant petition and when they can file the actual visa application or adjustment of status application. In other words, they must wait until a visa becomes available in their category before they can submit the final application. The Visa Bulletin, released each month, tells applicants whether they can move forward with the final application.

Can You Join the U.S. Military Without a Green Card?

The straightforward answer is no – a green card is a prerequisite for non-citizens aspiring to enlist in the U.S. military. Joining the U.S. military as a non-citizen is a process governed by specific criteria. Individuals without a green card face restrictions in pursuing a military career in the United States.

One of the fundamental requirements for joining the military as a non-citizen is the possession of a green card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card. This card signifies the individual's lawful permanent residency status in the United States. Without it, it is not possible to join the military. The green card serves as evidence of an individual's legal authorization to reside and work in the country, a crucial factor considered by military authorities.

Additionally, proficiency in English is part of the criteria for eligibility. As the primary language of communication within the U.S. military, prospective recruits must be able to speak, read, and write English fluently. This linguistic requirement ensures effective communication and coordination among military personnel, contributing to the overall success of operations.

It is essential to clarify that joining the U.S. military is not a pathway to enter the country or obtain a visa. The military enlists individuals based on their qualifications, commitment, and adherence to legal requirements, rather than serving as a means to immigration. Aspiring recruits should focus on meeting the established criteria, including possessing a green card and demonstrating English proficiency, to embark on a military career within the United States.

For experienced guidance on securing your family-based green card, reach out to U.S. Immigration Law Group, LLP online or call (714) 786-1166.

The Challenges of Marriage-Based Visas

The immigration authorities do not tolerate attempts to obtain a green card by fraudulent means. USCIS is suspicious of fraud and pays close attention to each application, conducting in-person interviews to determine whether the marriage is bona fide.

If you are filing a marriage-based visa application, we urge you to let us handle your case. We can help you submit substantial evidence and prepare for your interview in order to avoid an accusation of fraud, which would have serious consequences on your ability to obtain a visa at any point in the future.

Are you or a loved one applying for a family-based green card? Call (714) 786-1166 or reach out to us online so we can put our 30+ years of experience to work for your family.

We're Here For You

Need guidance on an immigration issue for you or a loved one? You can call today at (714) 786-1166, fill out the form below or follow the link to schedule a consultation.

Ready to Discuss Your Case?

Fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.