Fashion Model

What Do Foreign Fashion Models and Defense Officials Have in Common?

Fashion models and people working on cooperative defense projects with the United States make strange bedfellows. In the somewhat arcane world of immigration law, however, they do have something in common. Fashion models and defense experts from other countries can both apply to come and work in the United States via a subcategory of the H-1B visa.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues¬†H-1B visas¬†to foreign nationals seeking to come to this country to perform services in a specialty occupation, services of exceptional merit and ability relating to a Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research and development project, or services as a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability. For those coming to engage in either specialty occupation or to work with members of the Defense Department or military on a cooperative endeavor, the requirements are somewhat similar. In either event, the applicant must have a bachelor’s or higher degree from an American university or college or a degree from a foreign university or college that is equivalent to a U.S. degree. If the job position itself requires a particular graduate or advanced degree, the applicant must possess that type of degree. Furthermore, applicants for either category must also have a license, accreditation, or authorization to practice their occupation should their field mandate such certification.

One significant distinction for the person seeking to work with the U.S. defense officials is that the project must be part of a country-to-country joint defense project. For other specialty occupation workers, the position they plan to fill does not have to fall within such strict parameters. These workers can seek employment in a myriad of fields.

The requirements, by contrast, for a foreign fashion model to procure an H-1B visa are less formal, to say the least. One must be a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability. Whoever said fashion is in the eye of the beholder must have worked for the USCIS.

The attorneys of U.S. Immigration Law Group, LLP have significant experience representing employers and their foreign national employees who wish to work in the United States. Contact U.S. Immigration Law Group, LLP at tel:(714) 786-1166 for a consultation or visit our website. Our offices are located at 1913 E. 17th Street, Suite 204, Santa Ana, California